Madeira Island – 10 top things to do
Madeira island is suprisingly varied with plenty to offer the curious traveller.
What to do in Madeira Island
1. Take a walk along the Levadas walks: These are water channels that are used to irrigate the island’s agricultural land, and walking along them offers some of the most stunning views of Madeira’s lush landscape.
2. Visit Monte Palace Tropical Garden: This is a beautiful botanical garden located in Funchal, with a vast collection of exotic plants and artworks.
3. Explore Funchal’s Old Town: The historic center of Funchal is a charming neighborhood with narrow streets, colorful buildings, and several historical landmarks.
4. Ride the cable car to Monte: This cable car ride offers breathtaking views of the city and the ocean, and at the top, you can visit the beautiful Monte Palace Tropical Garden.
5. Visit Botanical Garden: This is a beautiful botanical garden located in Funchal.
6. Hike Pico Ruivo: This is the highest peak in Madeira, and the hike to the summit offers some of the most spectacular views of the island.
7. Try Bolo do Caco bread: a wheat bread typical of Madeira island.
8. Try a tour with Madeira Sidecar Tours: Whether you are a motorcycle enthusiast or just looking for a unique way to see the sights. A tour with Madeira Sidecar Tours is a memorable and exciting experience.
9. Relax on the beaches: Madeira may not be known for its beaches, but there are some beautiful spots to soak up the sun and enjoy the ocean.
10. Visit the fishing village of Câmara de Lobos: This is a picturesque village that was a favorite subject of Winston Churchill’s paintings, and it’s a great place to enjoy fresh seafood and soak up the local culture.
Madeira is a beautiful island located in the Atlantic Ocean, about 600 miles southwest of Portugal. The island is part of Portugal and is known for its stunning natural landscapes, weather, unique culture and delicious cuisine.